With the second season of LOVE LIFE, Sam Boyd has reinvented the romantic comedy genre with something familiar while also feeling completely different. The show is an insightful journey of one man, Marcus Watkins, discovering why “staying in a dead relationship can only delay your happiness.”
I’ve already gone into detail, praising season two, so I will rank the episodes from best to good for my overall season review. I would say worst here, but there were no awful episodes. Enjoy!
- E1 MIA HINES – Holy shit! Is Marcus a villain? If so, count me in for this series!
- E9 MARCUS WATKINS – “Marry me, come on, you know you want to.”
- E10 EPILOGUE – The episode that turned LOVE LIFE from a flirtatious fun rump into something much more meaningful. A snapshot of what it means to be someone’s partner.
- E8 YOGI AND KIAN – Any romantic comedy needs a couple of best friend’s that prop up the protagonist. LOVE LIFE has two of the funniest and most insightful.
- E6 BECCA EVANS PART II – The start of Marcus’s journey from being a “little-ass boy” to a grown-ass man.
- E4 OLA ADEBAYO – Yup. He’s still the villain and hurting people.
- E5 BECCA EVANS – A combo of daddy issues mixed with a serious reveal in a “no strings attached” relationship.
- E3 DESTINY MATHIS – Marcus’s swag from living in a bi-coastal city is on full display.
- E2 PALOMA – New beginnings that took a little bit too long to get started.
- E7 SUZANNE HAYWARD & LEON HINES – Mia’s origin story didn’t need an entire episode.
LOVE LIFE is an evolved romantic comedy that should be must-watch TV for any romantic film buff. I would gladly follow Marcus into the rain NOTEBOOK style any day of the week.
The entire second season is available on HBO Max.