I am a huge fan of VIRGIN RIVER, but I have to say Season 3 did not live up to my expectations. I missed that satisfied feeling. Instead, it was more like, “What the heck?”
Here are my reasons:
- VIRGIN RIVER threw so many plot lines out at us this season. It felt like the writers were searching for one or two that would stick. Death, cancer, rape, amnesia, fertility, abusive relationships, commitment, enlisting in the service, and bullying, to name just a few. With only 10 episodes, this sounds like an impossible task…it was. I missed feeling the necessary depth, so viewers can truly care. It was all just a surface story dash.
- Without Hope (Annette O’Toole), visually in each installment, the show lost its antagonist protagonist. There was no one to push conflict and stand up for VIRGIN RIVER’S moral fiber.
- The cinematography is usually spectacular, and it was great, but I needed more. I consider the background a major “character.” There wasn’t enough time with all the plotlines they had to cover.
- So. Much. Conflict. It’s time to resolve some issues. Please stop stringing us along for three seasons. I am only human and will forget the details.
- Don’t blow up every relationship. My nerves can’t take it.
This all sounds like I hated this season. I truly didn’t. It just could have been so much more. I missed the calmness, consistency, and unwavering love. In the past, I wanted to live among this community. Now I am not so sure. It feels like every other neighborhood. I am hopeful it will be renewed and find another way to keep us gently tucked in VIRGIN RIVER.
VIRGIN RIVER Season 3 is available to stream on Netflix.